Monday, August 19, 2013

First week!

Our first week home was a learning experience for all of us! The first few nights were the hardest. We have a better routine down now. I have found that all the googling in the world can tell you how to be a mom or dad. You simply have to reach deep down inside yourself and go with your gut instinct first. Once I stopped doing that I was able to focus in on her ques. I am able to distinguish now what she wants most the time. She has a distinct cry for when she's hungry and a VERY distinct cry for when she's pissed. We call that one the pterodactyl cry! So my advice to new moms on their first days home is listen to your gut. Don't stress yourself out by listening to google. Watch and listen to your baby, that's how you will learn the most. 

We suspect that Emma has a little bit of acid reflux going on. Once we started keeping her more upright during the day we saw a difference. She doesn't have very many I'm in pain crying sessions now. Thank goodness, cause all she would want to do when she was in pain was nurse. The milk calmed down the acid and comforted her at the same time. This was extremely hard on me at night. I was sleep deprived on top of being crazy emotional. 

Her jaundice is almost completely cleared up now. I can still see a little yellow in her eyes though. So I try to take her outside for a few min each day. 

As for me, I'm doing good. I had very bad anxiety this past week. I'm feeling better though as each day passes. I get this overwhelming feeling that rushes over me and I start to cry and/or sweat and my heart starts to race. It's an awful feeling. At those moments all I want is to hold my baby or be held by my husband. Being alone also gets to me. For the most part though it has calmed down significantly. My recovery down there....... Is going well to, just in case you wanted to know! Lol I have lost a total of 26 lbs! I weigh less than I did on my wedding day actually. I was only 4lbs above my pre pregnancy weight at the end of my pregnancy. I lost almost 10lbs in my first trimester so I only gained 14 lbs while pregnant. If I lost 10more pounds and toned up a little I would be very happy! 

This is marks last week home with me. :( I am so glad and thankful that he was able to take 2 weeks off. He has really stepped it up on the home front to. All I have to do is baby stuff usually. I kinda feel like I'm a milk factory! Not sure how I will be able to get everything done when he goes back. Oh well we will make it. Emma loves her swing so that helps a lot. I'll be able to get a little done when she is napping in there. 

Nursing is going very well! I am making more than enough milk. I could provably feed triplets with amount I make, haha! We sometimes have a few problems with latching but it's getting better. I'm a little sore from that. The hardest part is getting her to stay on in the beginning. Once she does though she eats! She is a porker lol. 

The dogs are taking to her well. Dakota is up with me at night. If I move, he moves. If she crystal he is right there wondering what's wrong. He is a great big brother. Izzy is also very good with her. They snuggle together often. She has also stepped up on the guard dog aspect. She growls at the slightest sounds outside. It's kinda cute. :)

Well that's all I have for now! Have a good week









1 comment:

  1. Congrats on the weigh loss! It sounds like you did amazing throughout the pregnancy with a very healthy weight gain. I'm so glad you are figuring things out and it's going well. Seems like everyone is talking about their babies having acid reflux, so I'm fully expecting to have to deal with that down the road. The pictures of Izzy with Emma are so stinkin' cute!

    ReplyDelete