Thursday, July 5, 2012

SOOOO Much Information!! IVF Consult.

So today was my appointment with my RE (Reproductive Endocrinologist). There was a lot of information thrown at us in a few hours. He also did a trans vaginal ultrasound to get a better idea of whats going on in there. One thing he did tell me is that I have a tipped uterus. He didn't seem to concerned about that though. He was a little concerned on my lining in my uterus because it showed signs of ovulation but he was not able to locate a ruptured follicle. Because of that he want to do a biopsy of my lining before we proceed. A nurse took some blood to see if ovulation had occurred. They will be calling me back tomorrow with the results. If I didn't ovulate then I will proceed with the biopsy. If I didn't then we will wait for my next cycle to start and then have one done. After the ultrasound we went over the protocol that I will be doing. Here is all the info I got from our appointment.......


For the next two months I will basically be getting healthy. I will start taking some new vitamins and increase the dose of metformin (devil pill as I like to call it) from 1500mg a day to 2000mg a day. Just to clear up why I hate metformin, it make me have the "bubble guts" when I eat sweets or to many carbs. The only thing that is good about it is that it does keep me from eating crap all the time. Also during this two months he advised that we get all of our genetic testing done. We both need infectious disease testing and few other genetic tests. Mark has to do a few "man tests" done as well :). I will need a few other tests as well. One of the tests will be a sonohysterogram. This is where they inject saline in the uterus to check for abnormalities of the uterine cavity. The other is a trial transfer. This is basically a procedure where they map out my uterus so the actual transfer goes smoothly.


After these two months we are supposed to go back for a re-eval appointment. Just to make sure we have all of our ducks in a row. 


Then its time for IVF!!! Instead of a "fresh cycle" of IVF we will be doing it a little different. We will start out as a normal cycle by stimulating my ovaries to produce follicles (a follicle is what holds the egg). Once I have a few follicles of good size we will do a ER (egg retrieval). After the eggs are retrieved they will be injected with a single sperm (ICSI). They will then be cultured for 5 days in the lab and then flash frozen. After the retrieval I will then have a regular cycle or two before we transfer any embryos. The reason for this is to reduce my risk of OHSS. This is basically when the follicles fill up with fluid and it can cause complication. There are a few other reasons for waiting but they are far to complicated to explain. Sorry.


Anyway, that is what we found out today. So I guess its going to be a while or at least a few months before we are possibly pregnant. I really hope that this works cause we basically only have 1 shot at this.   

No comments:

Post a Comment